Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Casts 3&4

Another late one :(

May 9th, 2012
Two weeks done and only 2 left to go. We are halfway there! Wyatt has adapted so well to the casts and has impressed us all. He can tear across the living room so fasts and keeps me on my toes. That boy has a sixth sense on things he should not be getting in to. I am nervous about today because we are going to be casting both legs. How will Wyatt handle both legs in casts?
Casts number 3 and 4.

Wyatt recognized the cast saw as soon and she brought it in today. He instantly starting whining and reaching for me. It broke my heart not to be able to hold him while she removed it. Wyatt's foot looked really gross this week after the cast was removed, but there was actually an arch! His skin was much more sensitive this week and he cried when Darren washed his leg. Dr. S commented on how his left foot was looking better than his right foot now. Yay for improvement! Wyatt knows now what to expect and he fought us from the first moment with these casts. He kept arching away from the doctor and we kept having to hold him down so he couldn't scoot away. Darren got to calm him down a little by letting him chew on his finger. Wyatt might have been more at ease, but Darren's finger was definitely hurting afterwards. Once Wyatt realized that his other leg was going to be casted too there was no calming him down. We just had to let him cry until they finished. That was hard. He quickly calmed down though once I was able to hold him. Baby boy is now sporting one blue and one orange cast. Our little shout out to Boise State University ;)

Look! I can still crawl.

It took Wyatt a little longer to get used to moving around with two casts on. He is crawling just as fast as he was previously although he can no longer stand up and he is a little annoyed about that. We will be keeping these casts on for two weeks straight this time and will go back in on the 23rd. We will be doing another series of x-rays to check Wyatt's progress and see where we go from here.

Wyatt has had a very difficult time with these casts. He has the same mobility but I can tell he is tired of having them on. The first week Wyatt wouldn't sleep more than an hour at a time. He would just cry all night because he couldn't get comfy. I felt so bad for my baby boy. The second week has been better. Wyatt is back to sleeping in his crib and we are all sleeping more. I can't wait until these babies are off of him!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I stumbled onto your blog today and wanted to say hello! My oldest son (now 9 yrs old) was born with a nueromuscular left clubfoot, so very different then what Wyatt has, but some similar treatments. Because of the nerve damage, he is still in the process of fixing his foot after surgeries and more casts then I could ever remember.

    I was wondering if it would be alright for me to add you to my foot blogs on my blog list? If it is, stop by my blog and let me know.

    ReplyDelete